From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 21:14:28
1 On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 01:22:44PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 06:40:07PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
3 > > On 2020-08-08 20:51, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > What do people think?
5 > >
6 > > Like others already asked: What's the reason for this?
7 >
8 > Like others have said on the thread, the reason for the switch away
9 > from udev in the past was mostly fear driven instead of fact driven. As
10 > already said, if the udev developers were going to make udev unusable
11 > without systemd they would have by now.
12 >
13 > > What do you expect from this change?
14
15 > > Is there a problem when new Gentoo installations will use EUDEV by
16 > > default? Or is there a benefit if new installations would use sys-fs/udev?
17
18 Here is something else to consider.
19
20 Blueness and any of the other eudev maintainers are doing good work
21 for alternative c library support such as musl. In fact, the musl
22 profiles hard mask sys-fs/udev, so they are covered no matter what
23 happens as a result of this thread.
24
25 Eudev is supposed to be udev without systemd along with alternative c
26 library support, but it appears to be behind what eudev offers.
27
28 The following commit appears to be the last time eudev synced with udev:
29
30 https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commit/2ab887ec67afd15eb9b0849467f1f9c036a2b6c8
31
32 There are roughly 100 commits in the udev master branch since the date of this
33 sync:
34
35 https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/udev
36
37 There are several new commits in libudev and udev rules since then as
38 well:
39
40 https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/libudev
41 https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/rules.d
42
43 I would like to publically thank Leio for providing me with the
44 information above.
45
46 I asked the council for guidance and was told that they don't need to be
47 involved, so I guess the best thing to do now is call for testers.
48
49 It would be helpful if people migrate their systems manually from eudev to udev
50 and report issues.
51
52 I'm not a valid test case because I have always run udev.
53
54 Thanks,
55
56 William