From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernelmod-rebuild-0.1
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:16:12
1 Markus Nigbur wrote:
2 >> Calculating dependencies ...done!
3 >> [ebuild R ] media-sound/alsa-driver-0.9.8 -oss
4 >> [ebuild R ] media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4496-r3
5 >
6 > mhmm..
7 >
8 > pyrania@powerix pyrania $ qpkg -f /lib/modules
9 > media-libs/svgalib *
10 > media-video/nvidia-kernel *
11 > sys-apps/i2c *
12 > x11-base/xfree-drm *
13
14 I am aware of that and the first comment in the script says that it evolved
15 from the simple script 'emerge -v `qpkg -I -nc -f /lib/modules`'
16
17 The main audience for this script isn't developers and experienced gentoo
18 administrators. It is intended for use by your average gentoo
19 administrator. What prompted me to write it was seeing people on the
20 gentoo-user mailing list having problems, because they forgot to rebuild
21 packages after recompiling a kernel. Finally, since I have been testing it
22 and looking at the behavior of the various packages during a kernel
23 recompile, I find it to be very useful as it does the work for you of
24 locating and building those packages for you and thus saves you time and
25 effort. For me, one of the purposes of using computers is the ability to
26 automate repetitious or error-prone tasks. This is one of those that I have
27 found and seen to be error-prone and which to me benefits from being
28 automated.
29
30 Regards,
31 Paul