From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: cinnamon@g.o, mate@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] State of Cinnamon & Mate projects
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:09:28
1 Hanno's previous message about the LXDE project made me think other
2 desktop projects that are facing a bad state in Gentoo: Cinnamon and
3 Mate. They are both outdated and last I tried, Cinnamon didn't even
4 build for me (bug open for a ~year now).
5
6   https://repology.org/maintainer/cinnamon%40gentoo.org
7     outdated: 86.7 %
8
9   https://repology.org/maintainer/mate%40gentoo.org
10     outdated: 97.4 %
11
12 Mate doesn't seem to be that much behind. Gentoo has 1.22 and latest
13 release is 1.24. 1.22 was released 2019-03-18, and 1.24 last month. Many
14 of the packages are outdated in a sense that these packages have minor
15 releases, which haven't been packaged in Gentoo. Ie 1.22.3.
16 There was a 1.23 release in-between, but looks like not many distros
17 packaged that either. (Might be some full-development version?)
18
19 Cinnamon on the other hand is _horribly_ outdated. Gentoo has 4.0 while
20 latest release is 4.4. And as noted, I couldn't even build it while
21 trying. 4.0.3 was released in Nov 2018, while the latest 4.4.8 Jan 2020.
22 The have been _numerous_ releases in between.
23
24 Should some general consensus be agreed on whether to keep them or
25 remove them? I feel like we are lying to any new users installing
26 Gentoo; When they setup their system and boot into installed DE, they
27 immediately have to resort to some overlay to update it. While they
28 should get it from the overlay in the first place. Saying, IF they even
29 manage to build it (Cinnamon). This came up and was discussed in the
30 Gentoo forums.
31
32 There could be more issues these non-maintained big projects cause, like
33 enabling elogind distrowide.
34
35 cinnamon@g.o has been assigned to 27 open bugs, mate@g.o
36 to 33.
37
38 This message also works as a call-to-arms with these projects. Even if
39 people decide to rather keep them in ::gentoo, help and some action is
40 needed.