From: drobbins@g.o
To: Justin Vander Ziel <zielot@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug report, Portage question, No sources included
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:21:39
1 On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 07:51:58PM -0600, Justin Vander Ziel wrote:
2
3 > Unless you're thinking of modules, I think it would be better to include a
4 > few kernel variations and the dd command in the boot cd. I thought it was odd
5 > that this was omitted anyways. I had to create a boot disk in Windows using
6 > rawrite. (well actually, I learned later that I really was able to install
7 > grub from the grub prompt on the CD. Since I had never used GRUB and always
8 > LILO, this business was all new to me then.)
9
10 We're working on improving hardware support. The main reason there's no PCMCIA
11 support is that I don't have a laptop. So, I can't really test any PCMCIA stuff.
12
13 > Actually I may be looking in the wrong place, but all that I found in
14 > /usr/src/linux were the kernel headers which were installed with sys.tbz2 -
15 > but no source code. Actually, I did not find source code ANYWHERE which
16 > surprised me given the idea behind this distro to roll your own. Or perhaps I
17 > misunderstood and the idea is to UPDATE with source code?? (See my first
18 > question) Or perhaps, even worse, I'm more of a newbie than I think.
19
20 When you do this:
21
22 # ebuild foo-1.2.ebuild merge
23
24 The sources for foo-1.2 will be automatically downloaded either from the Gentoo
25 Linux mirror, or from the original download site. The downloaded files are
26 stored in /usr/portage/distfiles. We'll most likely be providing a "sources"
27 ISO image soon for those who don't have a fairly decent link to the Internet.
30 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
31 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
32 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.