From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 15:04:19
1 Kristian Fiskerstrand posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:15:37 +0100 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > On 11/25/2015 09:16 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 >> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
6 >> wrote:
7 >>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:18:34 -0800 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
8 >>> wrote:
9 >>>> Maybe I'm missing something, but `df` is in /bin. Do you use
10 >>>> something else to determine free space?
11 >>>
12 >>> btrfs fi df
13 >>
14 >> In thins case, upstream's build system installs everything in bindir,
15 >> which I override to /sbin. I think that's where the ebuild was
16 >> installing things when I inherited it from the previous maintainer.
17 >>
18 >> If William's PATH proposal is not implemented, I would be happy to move
19 >> it all to /bin if so desired. Just file a bug.
20 >
21 > If moving it in the first place, wouldn't it go to /usr/bin as not being
22 > essential to system?
23
24 It's essential to system, as btrfs device scan is needed before mounting
25 a multi-device btrfs, and btrfs check is a an fsck that may be needed to
26 fix a broken btrfs /usr/ mount.
27
28 Else reiserfsck, e2fsck, fsck itself, and others, should be in /usr/sbin,
29 not in /sbin/.
30
31 btrfs is the general userspace binary. Subcommands such as check and
32 device scan require device privs and don't normally work when run as
33 ordinary users, but some subcommands such as filesystem df don't need
34 device privs and work just fine when run as ordinary users.
35
36 (Not that I particularly care about the topic of the thread in general,
37 as here: /sbin -> bin, /usr -> ., so all four locations, /bin, /sbin,
38 /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, point to the same single /bin, and I no longer have
39 to worry about which dir something's in, unless I'm checking the
40 canonical path as installed by the package, for which equery belongs
41 works nicely. But I'm a btrs user and upstream btrfs list regular so I
42 care about that angle, thus this reply. =:^)
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman