From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] slots and libraries.
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:40:37
1 On Tuesday 11 April 2006 19:13, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 10:52, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > Please remember, this is the reason we have SLOTS
4 >
5 > no it isnt
6 >
7 > you're complaining about lack of a portage feature to track ABI's and
8 > urging the use of hacks in ebuilds to work around it
9
10 While I agree that SLOT's are not perfect, they were created to solve this
11 problem too. If another working solution is found, that is ok for me too. But
12 I don't want to just find my binary stops working because some of its
13 libraries were removed from under it. Those libraries can coexist, so we
14 should keep them to give users an opportunity to upgrade their applications
15 to the new one. Only at that point do they become inappropriate.
16
17 Paul
20 Paul de Vrieze
21 Gentoo Developer