From: Craig Andrews <candrews@g.o>
To: llvm@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gienah@g.o, gentoo@××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How to handle ROC forks of llvm and clang
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 20:00:42
1 I'm working on packaging the Radeon Open Compute (ROC) packages for
2 Gentoo with first goal being to get the OpenCL runtime working.
3
4 The OpenCL runtime can be found at:
5 https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm-OpenCL-Runtime
6
7 It has a mess of dependencies; I can handle most of them (not that it'll
8 be easy, but at least I know what to do). The 3 troublemakers I'd like
9 to discuss are the ROC forks of:
10 llvm: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/llvm/
11 clang: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/clang/
12 ldd: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ldd/
13
14 Potential approaches include:
15 1) Create new packages for each: sys-devel/radeon-open-compute-llvm,
16 sys-devel/radeon-open-compute-clang, sys-devel/radeon-open-compute-lld
17 2) Add use flags to existing packages that apply the ROC changes as a
18 patch
19 3) Add use flags to existing packages that use ROC archives as the
20 SRC_URIs
21 4) Take the approach justxi did in his overlay which is to bundle these
22 dependencies wherever they're needed; for example, take a look at
23 https://github.com/justxi/rocm/blob/master/media-libs/ROCm-OpenCL-Runtime/ROCm-OpenCL-Runtime-1.7.0-r3.ebuild
24
25 Personally, I dislike (4), as it's contrary to the bundling policy that
26 Gentoo tries to follow.
27
28 For (2), I'm concerned that generating and maintaining that patch may be
29 really annoying and a lot of work.
30
31 For (3), it's not great to have different base archives.
32
33 Since ROC will eventually upstream all of it's work, (2) is ideal - but
34 I have no idea what the timeline on that upstreaming effort may be, and
35 I can't find anything that gives a hint.
36
37 What is the best way forward? And what would be acceptable to the Gentoo
38 LLVM project?
39
40 Thanks,
41 ~Craig