From: Jeremiah Mahler <jmahler@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea about signing ebuilds
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 04:34:55
1 On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:53:44AM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > --On Donnerstag, Juni 06, 2002 22:33:22 -0700 Jeremiah Mahler
5 > <jmahler@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >
7 > >The goal is to have packages that are of high quality.
8 >
9 > That was not my intention. I just want to make the distribution a little
10 > safer against worm or virus infection.
11
12 To me, a package that has malicious code such as a "worm" or "virus" is
13 of "low quality".
16 > Beside that, I'm of the opinion that the developer of the software knows at
17 > best the quality of it. And I think an ebuild is (or should) normally not
18 > more than calling configure, make and make install from the original
19 > package. It was always a miracle for me, why a debian maintainer could
20 > know anything more about the stability of a package than the original
21 > developer. And because portage can handle more than one version of a
22 > package, it should be up to the user to decide which versions he wants.
23
24 I agree with you on the fact that ebuilds should do the least amount
25 possible in order to get the job done.
26
27 If anyone can submit ebuilds and the only way a user can discern between
28 different ebuilds is by the version number than the following is true:
29 1. an ebuild can contain malicious code (worm, virus, etc)
30 2. nothing will prevent the user from using a malicious ebuild
33 > I'm switched to gentoo because it offers me actual versions (compiled for
34 > my machine) with the comfort of just calling 'emerge package'.
35 >
36 > Regards,
37 >
38 > Alexander
41 > PS: I would find it nice if someone would describe the USE-variable 'tests'
42 > in the appropriate places (e.g. portage manual). Maybe this would inspire
43 > some ebuild-designers to call 'make tests' (if that is offered) before
44 > installing. This could make the quality a bit higher. ;)
47 > gentoo-dev mailing list
48 > gentoo-dev@g.o