From: John Croisant <jacius@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:32:59
1 On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:19:29 +0200, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Do you realize that this would amount to serious patches on kde. KDE
4 > expects KDEDIR(S) to work the way it does currently. I know it is not
5 > ideal, but neither is the FHS.
6
7 I don't pretend to be an expert on how KDE works, which is why I ask:
8 why couldn't you add the scattered directories to KDEDIRS? The
9 documentation I have read suggests that KDE will search all
10 directories in KDEDIRS for the files it needs. Am I missing something?
11
12 I assume that there is some sort of conflict such that it wouldn't
13 work for KDE to have all versions in its path. Is it possible to tell
14 an application which KDEDIRS to use (again assuming that KDEDIRS would
15 have to be different for different versions of KDE), without patching
16 the application or KDE? Could a script be written that would define
17 KDEDIRS for an application call? Is there a way to automatically
18 detect whether an application uses one version of KDE or another?
19 Could some function be easily added to all KDE-related ebuilds, to
20 create a wrapper script for the applications?
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list