From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: cron.* and modern cron implementations
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 15:18:34
1 On 3/2/19 9:01 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > So, the problem with cron.d is that you're now using crontab syntax,
4 > and for compatibility you have to use the lowest common denominator
5 > which is vixie.
6 >
7 > That means your jobs are STILL running as root, so the only problem
8 > you had with run-parts isn't solved.
9
10 vixie-cron's crontab has a "user" field
11
12 The rest of this post sounds like it's conflating the two issues
13 again... which is completely my fault. I saw "run-" and got triggered. I
14 think I've said everything that can be said against run-crons on the
15 bug. I don't have any better ideas for the run-parts scheme.