From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo RC3 kernel booting with AMD K6
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 05:33:50
1 Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > Brian Snipes wrote:
4 >
5 > > OK. I followed the installation instructions from gentoo.org and my
6 > > booting of the bzImage kernel stops at:
7 > >
8 > > VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
9 > > Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed
10 > >
11 > > And then it pauses forever. Does the kernel support K6 processors or is
12 > > it PII+ only or does anyone else have any ideas what might be the problem?
13 >
14 > Hi Brian,
15 >
16 > I tested to install on a K6 yesterday too. The bootcd freezes after linuxrc
17 > is finished
18 > So init gets not started.
19 > I compiled everything here with -mpentium not -mpentiumpro, so the
20 > optimization can not be the cause
21 > for that. The tarnge thing is that older versions of gentoo worked fine on
22 > K6/2 machines here.
23 >
24 > If you have found the bug, please tell me, meanwhile I will try get things
25 > working here.
28 I was unable to fix this bug till now. :-/
29 But I found out at which place the system hangs.
30 It is definately /sbin/init that does not work.
31 I modified /usr/src/linux/init/main.c a bit to output more info what is going
32 on at the moment.
33 And I found out that the last call in mail.c that succeeds is
34 execve(/sbin/init....).
35 This function does not return on sucess, so I think /sbin/init can be executed
36 but hangs then.
37 So I will focus on init now.
40 > Bye Achim
43 > > Brian Snipes