From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 17:27:56
1 On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o> wrote:
2 > So this setup is working and boots fine here. We might want to recomend
3 > dracut as initrd solution in case of separate usr.
4
5 I think it still needs some work, but it is getting there. I
6 documented my own solution at:
7 http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/a-quick-dracut-module/
8
9 For less-complex setups dracut as-is probably would work, but then
10 again, for most less-complex setups you don't need an initramfs
11 anyway.
12
13 In any case, it could still use more documentation, and it needs to be
14 integrated into any howtos that pertain to using RAID/LVM/etc, and
15 perhaps even the handbook (perhaps just as a warning that more exotic
16 partitioning schemes potentially require it). I think all that really
17 needs to be in place before we move any further down this road (such
18 as with the most recent udev versions/etc).
19
20 On the other hand, anybody who has /usr running on lvm/etc is not what
21 I'd consider a casual user. As long as we give them enough info to
22 figure things out we don't need to go overboard with the hand-holding.
23 Some news items to alert the user to what is coming before they go
24 updating udev/etc would be a bare minimum though - at least give them
25 a chance to burn a rescue CD or something.
26
27 Rich