From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC][NEW] Utility to find orphaned files
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:08:16
1 On 03-05-2010 15:34, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:
2 > fre 2010-04-30 klockan 18:24 +0200 skrev Enrico Weigelt:
3 >> * Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o> schrieb:
4 >>
5 >>> What about searching the complete file system but using an exclude file where
6 >>> you can put directories and files which should not be searched. It is tedious to
7 >>> tell every path on the command-line. Also for instance if you specify /lib it
8 >>> will also search under /lib/modules and I am sure you do not consider all
9 >>> contents there as unneeded.
10 >>
11 >> hmm, perhaps there's some way to assign these files to some package ?
14 > Eh, no and it should not be since files in that directory is kernel
15 > modules, and most of the files there is created by "cd /usr/src/linux &&
16 > make" or genkernel or something alike and it is supposed to be that way.
17
18 Indeed. /lib/firmware is another candidate
19 > Looking at the contents of that directory is pretty easy to see if a
20 > directory there should be left alone or removed (as there is just one
21 > directory per kernel. not any longer running a kernel anymore? remove
22 > the corresponding dir).
23
24 That is dangerous. For example, I always keep the previous 2 kernels
25 just in case I detect some problem with the latest and I need to quickly
26 go back.
27 > It is better to have the script not tuch that directory at all or at
28 > most point out "the directory contains directories for more kernels then
29 > the currently running (i.e. there is more then one dir) and it is
30 > totally THIS big.
31
32 Sounds like a plan.
33 You may want to take a look if you have files from
34 > older kernels that you do not longer need."
35 > That would leave up to the user to figure out what kernel modules to
36 > keep and what kernel to pount. Or you suggest autocleaning of /boot
37 > and /usr/src/linux-* as well? Dangerous!
42 I'm seeing that there is enough interest (including me) on such utility.
43 Since it is difficult to please everyone at start, I'll first open a
44 project page on sf.net and develop a more powerful PoC that matches my
45 ideas. There was a lot of good ideas and observations here, so keep them
46 coming that I'll certainly read them.
47
48 When, and only if, the thing grows to a more mature state; I'll try to
49 open a Gentoo project by the appropriate means.
50
51 I'm not very good on free time lately, so I can't promise anything. But,
52 as long as my interest on it doesn't die I'll slowly keep working on.
53
54 Regards,
55 - Angelo