From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.11.12-r2 request for testers
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:16:18
1 On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 05:55 -0400, Aaron Walker wrote:
2 > Does it support wireless devices that don't support essid scanning yet?
3 >
4 > I'm currently having to use baselayout-1.10.4 (which was removed from portage
5 > ages ago) as my BCM4306 802.11b/g chip (used via ndiswrapper) doesn't support
6 > essid scanning.
7
8 It should do. Basically if your card does not support scanning then you
9 have a few choices
10
11 1) Hard code the ESSID - this only works when you only use one AP
12 2) Hard code a list of ESSID's - this works fine as long as you only use
13 the AP's in the list. However, it's slow as it attempts to connect to
14 each in the specified order.
15 3) Use the ESSID "ANY" - this forces the driver to associate with an AP
16 that it chooses - you have no control over which one it selects.
17
18 If not, pester me in IRC so I can fix it.
21 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
22 Gentoo Linux Developer