From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing systemd units with gx86 packages
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:38:09
1 On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:11:10 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 04:55:14PM -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > > I think the better way to handle this will be to patch the build
6 > > > systems to not make this an automagic dependency and send those
7 > > > patches upstream.
8 > > >
9 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/automagic.xml
10 > > >
11 > > > I'm not a member of qa, but I agree with this position on
12 > > > automagic dependencies.
13 > >
14 > > I'm speaking as a simple user, but I don't think the systemd unit
15 > > files qualify as automagic dependencies as described by the QA
16 > > document. In the first place, as Michael pointed out, we can disable
17 > > them with --without-systemdsystemunitdir, so there is no magic at
18 > > all.
19 >
20 > Ah ok, I guess I missed that. The qa document says there is an
21 > automagic dependency if the builder can't turn this off. But, you are
22 > asying that the builder can turn it off with the --without option.
23 >
24 > In that case, the dependency is not automagic.
25
26 I'm sorry I didn't explained that clearly. The fact is that it becomes
27 automagic if builder doesn't care about turning it on or off which was
28 the case for many recent fdo package bumps.
29
30 > > In the second place, the usual Gentoo way of enabling OpenRC
31 > > services is to *add* init.d scripts in the ebuild, and this is
32 > > completely orthogonal to a package installing a systemd unit file
33 > > (the presence of the later does not matter to OpenRC at all).
34 >
35 > This is another topic I may bring up at some point, if you are using
36 > systemd, etc, and openrc is not even installed on your system, do you
37 > need /etc/init.d at all? Once openrc goes stable, I might bring that
38 > up for discussion.
39
40 I'd say INSTALL_MASK, again. Although it'd be hard to grab all udev
41 rules and other junk like that, it would work fine with most
42 of the scripts.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny