From: aeriksson@××××××××.fm
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo vs. the FHS
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 06:33:04
1 Hi all,
2
3 (I recently posted this stuff to-users, but there was no reply.
4 Hopefully -dev is the right place.)
7 How come gentoo doesn't follow the File Hierarcy Standard (FHS) more
8 closely? For example, there are provisions in FHS to use /var/cache
9 for stuff which applicatons can recreate if it doesn't exist (the the
10 administrator can purge the directory at will). Putting
11 /usr/portage/distfiles/ there seems obvious to me. But having
12 edb/world
13 in there (with all memory of your world configuations) seems not too
14 smart.
15
16 What's the philosophy around this? Shouldn't edb live in e.g.
17 /var/lib?
18
19 Cheers,
20 /Anders