From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-Status
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:23:37
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:56:11 -0400 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | I request that these teams present status reports bi-weekly (thats one
5 > | every two weeks). You don't even have to write the reports, I will
6 > | volunteer to bug you every two weeks about what is going on in your
7 > | project and you can just drop a few words. I will author the report
8 > | for you and post it to dev (if you wish for me to do so).
9 >
10 > Bringing up something I proposed previously... How about having teams
11 > that are considered 'important' (not a fixed list; this can vary
12 > depending upon what's going on) or 'to be having issues' deliver status
13 > reports to the council for their monthly meeting?
14
15 I would tend to prefer this than a standardized bi-weekly report. A lot
16 of times things don't change much, or its just general "maintenance"
17 type stuff that happens in the background. And as stated in a later
18 email, we can send a report to the council before the meeting in case we
19 can't make it to it. Many of us lead busy lives during the day and
20 having a free hour for yet-another-meeting is troublesome a lot of the
21 times.
22
23 I understand the lack of communication on some of the aspects of infra
24 specifically. Frankly, the attitude of a lot devs lately towards infra
25 have made many of us not want to communicate what we're doing. If we're
26 not getting respected by you, then why should we respect you back? At
27 least for me personally, I don't hold any personal grudges against
28 anyone unless you stop respecting the group and/or me. Personally, I
29 think the larger problem in Gentoo itself is the attitudes of many
30 developers. Communication aside, it means nothing if we can't deal with
31 each other in a semi-professional manner. It seems like mini-flame
32 explosions on irc/email have happened more frequently in the last few
33 months. This is just going to make the group implode if nothing is done
34 about it.
35
36 Anyways, that's my thoughts.
39 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
40 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
41
42 ---
43 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
44 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
45
46 ramereth/irc.freenode.net