From: "Miguel S. Filipe" <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New sys-kernel tree layout
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:46:50
1 BoehmeSilvio wrote:
2
3 >Hi !
4 >
5 >I use xfs on my desktop machine.
6 >As I see, there are no performance patches in the xfs-source.
7 >
8 >So, what is the GENTOO recommendation for a filesystem on a desktop machine
9 >?
10 >
11 >- xfs is good, but the kernel is missing all performance patches !
12 >- ext3 is to slow IMHO (on IDE)
13 >- ext2 has no journaling
14 >- reiserfs is not recommended (gentoo install documentation), or is it safe
15 >to use reiserfs now ?!
16 >
17 I never understood why gentoo says this about reiserfs.
18 reiserfs is actively mantained in the kernel tree, it's allways getting
19 updated and bugs are fixed every release, this for me is a signal that
20 it's being very tested, and the fact that it's in the main kernel tree
21 for some time, and I never saw in kerneltrap.com, or in any other web
22 page related to the kernel, or the kernel mailing list.
23
24 I use reiserfs for a year now, in debian and now in gentoo, and I never
25 had a problem with reiserfs.
26 (I have a normal desktop setup)
27 So, if you want a kernel with a fast file system, and other performance
28 tweaks, go with reiserfs, preempt patch, and other similar stuff(that's
29 what I do)
32 >(Please don't start a flamewar about the best filesystem !!!)
33 >
34 >Thanks
35 >
36 >Silvio