From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:54:23
1 On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 9:50 AM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > For esoteric packages with a dedicated user, though, you're probably
4 > right. The main benefit of the mailing list posts so far is that they
5 > let me track down pull requests and suggest that people ignore the
6 > example in the devmanual.
9 Do the list reviews really put people off that much? It seems like
10 eclasses. Plenty of packages have one-off eclasses that nobody cares
11 about except the specific project, in which case the list posts are
12 just a formality and largely a NOOP. However, this list isn't really
13 high-traffic. Ditto with last-rites and so on. I think having the
14 opportunity for review is probably worth it even if often it is just a
15 NOOP.
16
17 If people are afraid to post something for review because of potential
18 criticism then maybe we need to work more to make sure people
19 understand that everybody makes mistakes and nobody knows everything,
20 and this is why we have reviews in the first place. Nobody is going
21 to have their commit access removed because they didn't notice
22 something and were thoughtful enough to get more eyes on it before
23 commiting it. IMO that is a sign of responsible commit access.
26 Rich