From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-sources-vanilla ebuilds
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:27:52
1 On Wednesday 01 August 2001 22:06, you wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:04:42PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I've grabbed the wiki item on non-patched linux sources. I'm calling this
6 > > linux-sources-vanilla. It will do nothing except extract the sources and
7 > > run make deps on the default config.
8 >
9 > OK; please use sys-kernel/linux-sources-2.4.6 as your model for creating
10 > this new ebuild. (Remove all the patches, but keep everything else)
11 I was going to, but there are so many if these patches and configs I think
12 maybe I'll be better off writing from scratch. After all it only has to
13 extract an archive and little else.
16 > > Question:
17 > > Where in /usr/src should this go? The usual linux-x.y.z is already taken
18 > > by the (patched) linux-sources. And any other name will require symlinks
19 > > to it from linux-z.y.z, which is the same.
20 >
21 > /usr/src/linux-vanilla-x.y.z should be good.
22 The problem is: when there are several linux-sources and
23 linux-sources-vanilla emerged together, in /usr/src there are the links
24 'linux' and 'linux-2.4' ehich must point to either sources or vanilla. How do
25 we decide? Do we create a link to ourselves (i.e. vanilla) if there is no
26 other link?
27 A worse problem is /lib/modules. Here each kernel's modules dir is only
28 identified by the version number, and each has a link back to its kernel
29 sources! What do we do?
32 > > Note:
33 > > I'll add this as a virtual/kernel provide.
34 >
35 > OK; my only question is when we can get our hands on
36 > linux-sources-chocolate :)
37 >
38 > Best Regards,