From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:20:05
1 On Friday 19 November 2004 01:10, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:49 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > I'm reaaallllllly not a fan of hacks like that. If the user has kill
4 > > on OOM turned on then they should expect to have processes zapped if
5 > > they run out of memory.
6 >
7 > Isn't this the default? I haven't even seen an option for an
8 > alternative and this seems to always be the behavior.
9
10 The OOM killer has been removed as default in the 2.6 series. However as
11 far as I know (not the newest 2.4 kernel) 2.4 does not offer the option
12 to put the OOM killer off.
13
14 Paul
17 Paul de Vrieze