From: "Miguel S. Filipe" <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
To: Collins <erichey2@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo & fhs
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:00:08
1 Collins wrote:
2
3 >Just finished a lengthy interchange wih a "gentleman" (loosely
4 >speaking) on another group this weekend. Said gentleman considers
5 >himself to be a chief priest of the fhs religion, and he says that he
6 >wouldn't touch gentoo with a fork because gnome and kde are in the
7 >/usr hierarchy instead of the /opt hierarchy "where god intended them
8 >to be."
9 >
10 >Just curious, is he all wet, or is this a conscious departure from the
11 >fhs requirements?
15 I do touch gentoo, but I also would like if gentoo would put those "mega
16 apps" (kde and gnome)
17 in the /opt, I don't know if there is any rule* about this, I just like
18 them better in /opt..
21 Something that might be related to this is the question:
22 Does gentoo folows the linux standart base? url: http://www.linuxbase.org
23
24 *: after looking in google it seems that there exists a supposed standart
25 File Hierarchy Standart url: http://www.pathname.com/fhs
26
27 What do developers and Drobbins think of this, {should,are,must} any of
28 this standarts be followed?
29
30 Miguel Sousa Filipe
31 gentoo user in .pt (PORTUGAL)