From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:51:09
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 > Here's the current draft:
4 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
5 >
6 > The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
7 > and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
8 > about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
9 >
10 > What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
11 > covered?
12
13 Thank you, Michał, for preparing an official guide from all the spread
14 informations. I think it is important for Gentoo to have such GLEP.
15
16 I think we should not bundle GLEPs to companies, but keep it more
17 abstract. The GLEP should still be valid, if we do not use github
18 anymore. Many large repositories have shut down in the last years. Even
19 after years we have not fixed all ebuilds [1]. We must be prepared, to
20 loose github very suddenly and should not hope that it will end with an
21 announcement years before.
24 Hence, I suggest to write the GLEP without naming "github" a single time.
25
26 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upstream_repository_shutdowns
29 Best,
30 Jonas