From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] quixote currently unmaintained
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:26:15
1 Okay, it seems that I should have provided many more details.
2
3 Quixote is "A simple but powerful Web development framework for Python
4 programmers". It's very low-level, but at the same time it's
5 exceedingly sane. When I added quixote to portage it was just going
6 through its 1.0 release. I'm still not entirely comfortable handling
7 webapp-based ebuilds, but quixote itself is not too difficult to
8 maintain by itself. In practice, though, people using quixote are
9 likely to want to any of the following support packages that have sprung
10 up over the last year or two: durus (object database), dulcinea
11 (quixote/dulcinea helper modules), scgi (alternative to fast-cgi),
12 and Sancho (Python unit-testing framework). Many of the packages have
13 ebuilds in bugs, but to date nobody has been willing to maintain them.
14 I'm not that interested in web applications myself, so I'm unwilling to
15 invest the time necessary to make sure that Gentoo has a functional
16 quixote + helpers framework. *Shrug* The result is that Gentoo's
17 support for quixote is horribly inadequate.
18
19 My view is that if a package is in the tree, then there's an implicit
20 understanding that we're maintaining it. If we're not, then I really
21 think it should go away. (Note, by the way, that this argument is
22 completely unrelated to whether or not we should have
23 upstream-unmaintained packages in the tree. As long as a Gentoo dev is
24 willing to look after those packages when necessary, then I see no
25 reason we shouldn't have those packages.)
26
27 -g2boojum-
28 --
29 Grant Goodyear
30 Gentoo Developer
31 g2boojum@g.o
32 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
33 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76