From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: [QA] Ban policy introduction
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 09:03:59
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:52 AM Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > If you introduce penalties for breaking prefix as well, I'm afraid many
4 > people will be unnecessarily penalized. I think that such penalties are
5 > counter productive in most cases. If someone is really being careless it
6 > might make sense to get some warning and lose commit access temporarily.
7 > If someone made a simple mistake that can be easily fixed, like version
8 > bumping a package that starts to fail in some corner case, then
9 > punishment doesn't make much sense.
12 The proposed policy already mentions that people will only be punished
13 after two warnings. This seems enough for me -- if people keep breaking
14 stuff despite warnings, a little penalty is probably a good thing.
15
16 The proposed policy already goes out of its way to require two warnings for
17 "independent" breakage, but it's not entirely clear what independent means
18 here. If you commit three breakages that are technically unrelated on the
19 same day, then you probably shouldn't be banned immediately. So I would
20 suggest also making clear that the warnings should be sent at least a few
21 days apart and that an initial penalty cannot happen until a few days apart
22 the second warning.
23
24 That said, I agree with those who are saying that breaking things should be
25 obvious, things like ignoring repoman and/or other CI messaging. If the
26 breakage is non-obvious and hard to spot locally, then we should instead
27 invest in tooling to make it more obvious. By "ignoring" here I do mean
28 that there needs to be a reasonable timeout -- sometimes if I commit a
29 change and get a CI alert after a few hours, it might be tricky due to
30 work/family/whatever concerns to fix it within, say, 24 hours.
31
32 Regards,
33
34 Dirkjan