From: srbaker@mysterymachine.ddts.net (Steven R. Baker)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Distribution Name
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:18:03
1 Hi there, I'm interested in getting start with Gentoo. There are a
2 couple of concerns that I have, however.
3
4 First, I'm a very ardent advocate of the Free Software Movement, and
5 the GNU Project, so naturally I was wondering why you decided to call
6 the distribution Gentoo Linux instead of properly, Gentoo GNU/Linux?
7
8 Also, I was wondering if there is a policy regarding licensing issues
9 that you follow as a project. IE: do you keep track of which licenses
10 are compatible with which? A little known fact is that the Python 2.x
11 license is incompatible with the GPL, so no GPL code can be used with
12 Python without explicit written permission from the author. What kind
13 of safeguards do you have against this?
14
15 Also, I'm very interested in getting involved in the packaging tools.
16 Where does the letter 'e' come from? As in ebuild... Is that form
17 Gentoo's days as Enoch?
18
19 And last, my computer isn't capable of booting from CD-ROM. How do I
20 start the Gentoo installer? (I do, however, have a CD burner).
21
22 Thanks,
23 -Steven