From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 19:48:21
2 > And now you're changing the subject. You've just claimed that *your*
3 > user's group ownership will be overwritten and when challenged you
4 > present the case of *system* user's group ownership being overwritten.
5
6 Actually, he showed the rewrite of **system** user (that was modified
7 locally).
8
9 And, as it already mentioned above, this behaviour violates Gentoo Philosophy
10 of not pretending to be smarter than user and don't dictate them a way to go.
11
12 So, if the problem is only in the existance of the bug, I can create it
13 tomorrow morning.
14 But it would be great to know that it wont be closed in a minute after with
15 "WONTFIX, works as expected".
16
17 Also, as already stated, changing the stuff that was modified by user is
18 **prohibited**.
19
20 P.S. I don't care about your relations with whissi, but let's back to the
21 topic:
22
23 [big red letters]
24 We should **NEVER** ever rewrite any system configuration made by local system
25 administrator (call it "user" or whatever). Dixi.
26 [/big red letters]
27
28 Modification of system users and groups are also covered by that user.
29
30 So, we, actually don't need any changes to disable acct-* things at all and
31 make users to manage all the things by themselves.
32 We need a change that will prevent any changes over **already existing** user.
33
34 I think we should make it in a manner like:
35 1) when we install acct-pkg for a first time - CONFIG_PROTECT changes, and let
36 user to review.
37 2) when we **reinstall** same package - do **nothing**. Although, I'm not sure
38 here:
39 on the one hand, why should we bother users by merging changes they already
40 did before,
41 on the other hand, it can be useful way to reset to defaults in case if "all
42 this stuff is screwed up".
43 3) when we upgrade acct-package (assuming there was changes) - only allow
44 "positive" changes (group additions), but not negative (dropiing groups), and
45 anyway CONFIG_PROTECT all the changes.
48 Well, there is also "kludgy way": does not globally reimplement anything, but:
49 1) force CFGPROTECT
50 2) perform a "light" modification to only perform "positive" modifications
51 (see above) on users/groups, but no "negatives".
52 It will anyway fix the both issues Whissi and OP had.
55 Best regards,
56 mva