From: Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier" <contact@×××××××××.me>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing split usage of USE=gles[123]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:07:00
1 Hello everyone!
2
3 On Donnerstag, 21. November 2019 04:32:34 CET Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier
4 wrote:
5 > I noticed for some time that there seems to be two use cases for the
6 > gles[123] family of USE flags in gentoo repo:
7 > 1. enabling support of OpenGL ES, which seems interesting to have for
8 > more runtime choices, probably better usage of the drivers and better
9 > binary-compat support.
10 > 2. switching from OpenGL (so the full API) to Open GL ES (reduced API),
11 > which is an entirely different kind of action as that reduces it quite
12 > significantly but might be useful for machines where the drivers do not
13 > provide (good) OpenGL.
14
15 I just recently ran into this, putting USE=gles2 in make.conf, thinking that
16 only the first kind of flags existed. Thus I second this proposal.
17
18 We could start bikeshedding about the naming (e.g. 1. gles2, 2. only-gles2, to
19 keep it shorter), but I don't think that will lead us anywhere and will just
20 delay the execution of this plan.
21
22 Thanks for proposing this!
23 --Dennis