From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:40:35
1 On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 13:39 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Saturday 12 November 2005 07:19, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > When we have emerge --news done,
4 >
5 > I keep seeing references to "emerge --news" but at the same time am seeing
6 > that news readers are external. What exactly is `emerge --news` meant to do?
7 > Print out "You've got news!"? Manage some external database?
8
9 It is my opinion that the news reading application need not be
10 integrated into portage. As far as I have understood it, the only real
11 thing that anyone has required portage itself to do is to
12 *automatically* spit out "You have $n unread news messages. Please use
13 $bleh to read them" at certain times (after sync, after --pretend,
14 before/after a merge). I don't see this as being something very
15 complex. I would assume that some extra code would need to be written
16 into the sync code somewhere to sort the messages.
17
18 I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of /var/db/news
19 directory (or something repo specific, whatever) that has a pretty
20 simple format...
21
22 yyyy-mm-dd-$blah-$lang.txt.unread
23 yyyy-mm-dd-$blah-$lang.txt.read
24
25 When you delete a message, it is gone. This means an external news
26 reader (enews anyone?) that basically has the capability to read, skip,
27 or delete these news items.
28
29 I think this would be pretty simple to get done and covers the problem
30 of messages being read or unread. Of course, this is all just an idea,
31 so feel free to blow holes all in it. ;]
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
36 x86 Architecture Team
37 Games - Developer