From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: yngwin@g.o, multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: emul-linux-x86-xlibs deps being replaced in gx86
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:29:59
1 On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:21:55 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 22 April 2013 03:43, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > The common kind of committed dep now looks like:
7 > >
8 > > || (
9 > > (
10 > > x11-libs/libXfoo[abi_x86_32]
11 > > x11-libs/libXbar[abi_x86_32]
12 > > )
13 > > app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs
14 > > )
15 >
16 > It should come as no surprise that I am not happy with this. While I
17 > applaud your efforts to attempt to improve the multilib situation, I don't
18 > think we are quite at the stage yet where this can be pushed as the default
19 > choice, as you are doing now.
20
21 This is an any-of dep, so it does not really change anything for
22 emul-linux users. I've taken specifically this approach to relax
23 the timeline for multilib attempt and allow testing it without the need
24 to enforce it on anyone.
25
26 > I am also not convinced this is the approach to multilib that we should be
27 > taking, and I know there are others for who this is controversial as well.
28
29 I'm afraid that so far the most negative opinions came from people
30 directly related to the portage-multilib project. While I value their
31 opinion, I'm afraid they are a little biased by the fact that we're
32 working on something alternate to their project, and which may cause
33 their work to end up mostly irrelevant.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny