From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Qt3 deprecation and removal policy
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:40:16
1 On 12/30/2009 12:14 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > 2010-01-21:
3 >
4 > * Qt team meeting: discuss actions to be taken regarding remaining
5 > pkgs that use qt:3
6 >
7 > 2010-02-21:
8 >
9 > * mask qt:3 and depending ebuilds, pending removal
10
11 30 days isn't a long time. How about filing bugs against anything that
12 currently uses qt3 right away, so that maintainers have an extra three
13 weeks to resolve these issues? Granted, one would hope they've been
14 paying attention.
15
16 As a random example, the current stable version of mythtv uses qt3, but
17 I don't see any open bugs about that (that package is probably an easy
18 fix as the newer versions use qt3support, and that version is already
19 stable upstream).
20
21 Usually the approach in these situations is to have a big tracker bug
22 for qt3 removal and a million blocker bugs against individual packages.
23 I'm not saying you can't move forward until everybody else gets their
24 acts together, but tracking this in bugzilla probably isn't a bad move
25 if it isn't too much work. Plus, you might decide that one or two of
26 the blockers really are critical, and decide to work with those
27 maintainers more closely or escalate the issue.