From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] merging two packages - upgrade path?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:07:10
1 On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:44:06 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
5 >
6 > >> With #1 the user will get a message about the blockers immediately.
7 > >> With #2 his emerge (maybe of many packages) will needlessly die
8 > >> when it reaches your package.
9 >
10 > > With #1 user will get no message, as neither the user nor the
11 > > package manager know of the merged package that should be emerged.
12 >
13 > So nothing depends on it that would pull in the new package? Now I see
14 > what your problem is. ;-)
15 >
16 > Isn't it possible to package.move -server or -client to the new
17 > package?
18
19 Assuming you're talking about "global updates" commands: Don't use it
20 for this kind of use case. The "move" command just renames a package in
21 vdb, and using it for anything that goes beyond a simple relocation in
22 the tree _will_ result in problems later on (we've been there already).
23
24 Marius
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list