From: Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Possibly trim sys-libs/pwdb from default profiles?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:10:13
1 Devs,
2
3 According to what I've gathered, this library is going the
4 way of the dodo bird. The only package in the portage tree
5 that thinks it needs this library, is Linux-PAM (sys-libs/pam).
6
7 The only pieces of PAM that require this library appear to
8 be pam_radius.so and pam_pwdb.so. All of Gentoo's pam.d/config
9 files are presently (or should be) using pam_unix.so, where in
10 the past pam_pwdb.so might have been interchangable. The radius
11 module sounds like a good fit for "optional build-time support"
12 to me. Also, I wonder whether or not the pam_radius.so could
13 be ported/patched to use whatever pam_unix.so uses, as it
14 doesnt need this library and I think the two provide similar
15 functionality/support anyways.
16
17 Add to this, apparently RedHat now calls this package
18 pwdb-compat, implying that its going to be soon legacy code.
19 Some distributions might still be using pam_pwdb.so in their
20 pam.d/configs but I don't think it's really common much
21 anymore.
22
23 So what's the point? Well, if we are into it, I suppose
24 that sys-libs/pwdb could be made into a USE pwdb inside the
25 sys-libs/pam package, thereby facilitating all of the default
26 profiles to trim out sys-libs/pwdb that is installed by default
27 on every Gentoo Linux system.
28
29 I'm not totally bent on doing this immediately or anything.
30 There might be some squeakies with *possibly* a very old
31 Gentoo Linux system which *is* using pam_pwdb.so in it's
32 pam.d/configs somewhere, which in theory could lead to them
33 getting "locked out" by installing a sys-libs/pam without
34 USE=pwdb. Thus I ask for your comments/concerns please;
35 Azarah does this sound pretty much like an OK idea to
36 pursue?
37
38 Donny
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list