From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enable UTF8 per default?
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:16:27
1 Alexander Simonov wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:24:26AM +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
3 >> Well there are a few problems, but yes I cannot name them now.
4 >> Using Japanese, Cyrillic and English in a few encodings each is a big
5 >> nightmare.
8 > It's true! We in xUSSR use KOI8-R, KOI8-U, CP1251 ( aka Windows-1251),
9 > CP866.
10 >
11 >> Nowadays I try to move everything to UTF-8, but there are those
12 >> windoze users
13 >> and webdevs that make all Japanese in Shift_JIS ... So support of wide
14 >> range of
15 >> encodings is a must, but UTF-8 is the truth.
16 >>
17 >>> The only thing that's nasty: we don't have any good utf8-fonts for
18 >>> the console.
19 >> And not only the console.
20 >> Even for xterm there are not many good fonts (known to me) that
21 >> display both Japanese
22 >> and Cyrillic in regular and bold. Currently there is only on
23 >> combination that works for me.
24 >>
25 > What about terminus and UniCyr (unicode font from console-tools-cyrillic)?
26 > I am use this fonts and most of russian speaking people says what this
27 > font is the best font for cyrilic charsets.
28 > I am don't see any issues in fonts for me.
29 Yes, then the problem is with Japanese...
30
31 >> So fonts, font config and related stuff is what has to be fixed first.
32
33 Kalin.
34 --
36 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+