From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Multiple root kernel command-line arguments
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 15:44:31
1 On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 17:14 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2020-08-06 14:22, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > - I am not 100% happy with the title but the 50 char limit
4 > > > doesn't allow any more details.
5 > >
6 > > Yes, the title doesn't say a thing why would anyone want to read this
7 > > news item or not.
8 >
9 > Maybe
10 >
11 > > Be aware of possible reboot problems
12 >
13 > instead?
16 > > > - No Display-If condition because it is neither a genkernel nor
17 > > > kexec-tools issue. We maybe even have additional packages
18 > > > which are appending to kernel command-line I am not aware of.
19 > >
20 > > Showing this news on all old and new Gentoo systems makes little sense.
21 > > Either someone is newly affected, then Display-if should determine it,
22 > > or someone is *not* newly affected, then you're either telling him
23 > > something he already knows or something that is of little value to him.
24 > >
25 > > News items should be precisely this -- news. Not random pieces of
26 > > information you've just discovered and want to share with everyone.
27 > > This is what documentation is about, and it should be in some kernel-
28 > > related piece of documentation (handbook?) and not scattered around
29 > > in news items.
30 >
31 > Sure, you are basically repeating what I wrote in my prolog.
32 >
33 > But the reason why I drafted that news item despite of this is the
34 > consideration that an unbootable system outweigh the risk to waste
35 > anyone's time to read something even if they are not affected. Note that
36 > news items will appear through multiple channels. So if this will help
37 > someone who didn't read documentation before or just didn't realize the
38 > obvious risk he/she is taking when using non-persistent names ("It
39 > worked that way for me past 15 years!") I believe it has served its purpose.
40
41 I'm not sure if you've noticed but there are people actively working
42 towards removing stale news items and trying not to dump everything
43 on once on a user freshly installing the system. Don't you consider
44 this a worthwhile goal?
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny