From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 04:54:04
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 06:57 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote: >> But neither portage, nor the portage tree, nor any of our branding are >> shipped with ChromeOS. Hence it's as much a Gentoo install as $company >> that uses portage to build $image for their embedded device, but >> doesn't leave any trace of Gentoo behind. > > So what? I work on Gentoo for the benefit of myself and others > (including Chrome OS devs), not because I want people to see Gentoo > branding, or have more people identify themselves as "Gentoo users." >
I never meant to say that it's NOT beneficial to Gentoo. I've stated publicly, numerous times since the very beginning in emails, on IRC, twitter, etc. that the fact that ChromeOS uses Portage is and will be quite beneficial to us in many ways. If you recall my recent email to gentoo-core, I specifically talked about this. Please don't take my pedantic definition-wrangling as anything but pedantry. All I've been saying is that it's *misleading* to users for us to say that Google uses Gentoo on its Chrome Books. Google uses Gentoo's portage tools to build ChromeOS, which is hence arguably a *derivative* of Gentoo, but not really Gentoo. This is precisely what Mike said in his last email, and resolved his initial statement for me, which was ambiguous from my PoV. -- ~Nirbheek Chauhan Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team