From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: autotools-utils.eclass
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 00:58:59
On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 02:56:05AM +0300, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> case ${EAPI:-0} in > 2|3|4) ;; > *) DEPEND="EAPI-TOO-OLD" ;; > esac > > why not: > > case ${EAPI:-0} in > 0|1) DEPEND="EAPI-TOO-OLD" ;; > esac
Do not go adding invalid DEPEND like that. Make the eclass die instead. Seriously, and this is a general rant based on several years of people adding stupid shit without considering the fallout: Whatever great new little trick you can think of for stuff like this... it's wrong. Use the mechanisms that exist. If policy forbids it, fix the policy, don't come up w/ "clever" hacks around it. Fix the core issue instead. Wouldn't surprise me if portage would accept this and run with it, blowing up at emerge time instead. Pkgcore and paludis however will give you the finger *very* quickly since that's not a valid atom. Don't piss on our parties w/ 'clever' tricks, do the right thing and use a die. People will move their ass a helluva lot quicker when their ebuild breaks than when bones has to go yelling both at the eclass author, and the devs in question about missing deps. Do not add this to the tree. ~harring

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: autotools-utils.eclass "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>