From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: more help needed with gcc-4.8 stabilization, chromium starts heavily using C++11
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 07:50:43
1 Rich Freeman posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:52:07 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:34:33 +0000 (UTC)
5 >> Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> While it pains me to say this, unfortunately it looks like we have
8 >>> another "toxic person" situation to deal with, with all the
9 >>> implications that come with it. Maybe it's time to deal with it.
10 >>
11 >> Toxic wars have casualties; in one of the sides, or in both of them.
12 >>
13 >> IOTW; you're already dealing with it, you can only change the outcome.
16 > Can you be clear as to what you're recommending?
17
18 I'm not sure if that question was of me or of Tom or of all readers...
19
20 My operating assumption is that what I see is the tip of the iceberg.
21 I'm not on core or on IRC, and while I sometimes read the council IRC
22 logs, I've only caught the summaries a couple of times in the last year
23 or so, so there's /certainly/ more going on than I see.
24
25 So I'm not in a position to have a recommendation, only to worry, because
26 it's my distro in the balance! =8^0
27
28 Tho I /can/ say I /seriously/ appreciate your effort in particular. You
29 seem to be on the more active and visible side in the council, and more
30 than anyone else, I see you constantly trying to play mediator and
31 peacemaker. Surely it can't be easy, and at times I'm sure it looks and
32 indeed might be hopeless, but /somebody/ has got to do it because even
33 where it doesn't work it's a cryin' shame not to try, and for whatever my
34 perspective is worth, I've never seen your effort be without merit or
35 your opinion not worth giving considerable thought, because often your
36 posts consider points I hadn't thought of, or did in passing but
37 incorrectly passed over without appropriate consideration of the merits.
38
39 > Are you suggesting that instead of trying to mediate between people who
40 > don't get a long, it would be better to just pick one or the other as
41 > the winner and boot the other out?
42
43 There comes a point at which failure to take positive action of some
44 sort, including kicking people out if it comes to that, ends up being
45 action of its own. If it's one "him or me", my experience is it's the
46 person making the demand that should, and usually does, go. If however
47 it's the same "him" on the other end of multiple such instances, at some
48 point the question must be asked where the problem ultimately resides.
49
50 I won't pretend to have an answer and I'm glad I'm not the one in the
51 position to make those decisions, but, well, there's some history of
52 exceptionalism here, bending the rules and finding technical solutions
53 where people with lessor stature with more minor violations have been out
54 on their ear, because yes, there /is/ quite some valuable contribution at
55 stake here, and the person in question is not only extremely technically
56 talented, but also, apparently extremely adept at finding and walking the
57 edge when it suits him.
58
59 We've had that situation before, and ultimately I think it ended up best
60 for all parties when that personality was told their contribution could
61 continue if they wanted, but it could no longer be as a gentoo dev. I
62 guess it's not a secret who I'm talking about, ciaranm. And yes, I think
63 it /has/ been better for both him and /gentoo/ the way it turned out, as
64 it freed both sides from a relationship that simply was no longer
65 workable, and allowed creating one where both sides could and did still
66 benefit from the contributions of the other, while now separated by
67 enough distance and with each side having the ability to walk now
68 whenever they wanted, that it actually worked. =:^)
69
70 The ideal here would be to find a similar both-sides-workable
71 relationship, but the man that can describe both what that might be and
72 how best to get from here to there... if he exists... surely can be used
73 in more worldwide consequence negotiations such as the Iranian nuclear
74 talks or the Ukrainian situation, or even the Debian systemd thing that
75 unfortunately seems to be tearing them apart ATM, and probably doesn't
76 have the time for Gentoo! =:^\
77
78 > One of the challenges here is that if we were talking about just one
79 > productive person who tended to drive everybody away that would be one
80 > thing. The problem is that we have a lot of productive people who have
81 > different sorts of personality quirks.
82
83 Indeed. Quite the illustrative list you had, too. Like I said I'm glad
84 you and the rest of council are dealing with it, not me, and my thoughts
85 are with you, hoping for wisdom.
90 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman