From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Robert Coie <rac@××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild dependency alternatives?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:20:54
1 On Wednesday 26 June 2002 03:55 am, Robert Coie wrote:
2 > Is there a way (other than creating a virtual) to specify that an
3 > ebuild dependency may be satisfied in multiple ways, a la Debian's
4 > control file's '|'? To give a specific example, I have an ebuild for
5 > the Date::ISO perl module, which requires the Memoize module. Memoize
6 > needs to be provided as a separate package currently, but it will be
7 > included in the perl core as of version 5.8.0.
8 >
9 > I thought it would be a nice touch to have a dependency that read
10 > something like "dev-perl/Memoize | >=sys-devel/perl-5.8.0".
11
12 On a related note, how would one go about submitting an ebuild for a new
13 package that would create the need for a virtual.
14
15 In particular, I am thinking of the Free Software Foundation's fork of
16 cdrtools, called dvdrtools, which as you might guess includes all of the
17 cdrtools functionality as well as DVD-R(W) support. I've been using this
18 successfully on several Gentoo machines, including a database backup server
19 than burns database dumps to DVD-R each night.
20
21 Obviously it would, at least partially, conflict with cdrtools (some of the
22 files overlap, though the actual burn commands don't, as dvdrtools has
23 renamed theirs to dvdrecord).
24
25 Jean.