From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:05:43
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 05:44:53PM -0500 or thereabouts, Curtis Napier wrote:
3 >
4 >>Maybe a new GLEP is in order? It makes sense to do it now since infra is
5 >>going to be setting up alias' anyway. While we're at it possibly an
6 >>@dev.g.o as well (as someone mentioned)? That way there is no confusion.
7 >>If anyone wants to pursue this we should start a new thread to keep the
8 >>issues seperate.
11 > What purpose does this serve? This would create all sorts of confusion.
12 > Right now, you can meet someone in IRC and make a reasonable assumption
13 > that their email address is <irc nick>@gentoo.org. This would confuse
14 > things horribly imo. What about people like me that span multiple roles?
15 >
16 > What happens when someone (again, like me) starts out in one area, moves to
17 > another, then still a third and finally a fourth? We're going to be
18 > updating aliases all over the place and for what?
19 >
20 > How does any of this make Gentoo Linux a better distro? Does it reduce
21 > bugs? Improve QA? Can I add -staff.gentoo.org to my CFLAGS and get a
22 > 0.00001% speed increase?
23 >
24 > There is no technical reason why any of this is necessary and it doesn't
25 > provide any tangible benefits that I can see. If a user really wants to
26 > know someone's role within the project, they can go look it up on the web
27 > site.
28 >
29 > --kurt
32 Fair enough, I was simply throwing the idea out there to see what people
33 thought. It just seems like a lot of people want to keep a clear line of
34 who is a "developer" and who isn't. It makes no difference to me but
35 since I am one of the people who would be affected by it I thought it
36 would be good to let you know that I don't care what my email address is
37 either way. Whatever the council decides is fine with me. I trust all
38 the council members to make a good decision that is best for Gentoo overall.
39 --
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list