From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:55:56
1 On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > To play devil's advocate, can we get a citation on "users don't want to
3 > care"? Which users? Does Gentoo have a lot of users who don't care, or
4 > does it attract a more passionate audience that enjoys the control that
5 > comes with being source-based? I'm inclined to believe the latter, but
6 > I'm ready to be wrong.
9 I'm willing to believe we have a lot of users who love micromanaging
10 USE flags. The day Gentoo requires this sort of behavior to work
11 correctly is the day I won't be a user... :)
12
13 Gentoo SHOULD give users choices. It should also pick reasonable
14 defaults when users opt not to specify a choice.
15
16 Obviously if a user just wants Ubuntu or Arch they should just install
17 Ubuntu or Arch. However, I think a common use case is going to be a
18 user wants very fine-grained control over a particular aspect of their
19 system, but they're not going to care about the rest. Maybe a user
20 does a lot of development in a particular language and they want
21 fine-grained control over how their compiler/interpreter/etc works,
22 but that doesn't mean that when they fire up a browser to check
23 stackexchange that they want to tweak every setting. Maybe somebody
24 has a server used for media transcoding and they want to tweak all the
25 ffmpeg/libav build options, but otherwise want a distro that just
26 works as far as ssh/openrc/systemd and so on goes.
27
28 It would be one thing if we had to sacrifice the super-OCD users to
29 cater to the non-OCD users. However, I don't really see a reason why
30 we can't service both. This proposal works for either set of users.
31 If a package doesn't give fine-grained control over libraries then the
32 OCD users aren't really losing anything they had before. If it does
33 then USE=+gui gets the users who don't care their gui, and it still
34 lets the people who want to tweak qt/gtk/etc the ability to do so.
37 Rich