From: Carlos Silva <r3pek@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maintainer-wanted: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:45:10
1 On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > I'm not a C programmer, let alone a developer, so this may be a stupid
4 > question, but here goes... has anyone ever tried doing a HAL (Hardware
5 > Abstraction Layer) to present a reasonably stable interface to binary
6 > video drivers? Think of it as a shim translating a "pseudo-API" into
7 > "the real API" that the kernel exposes directly. Surely, we can do
8 > better than VESA. Give drivers 2 options...
9 > 1) direct kernel access like now
10 > 2) access via the HAL/shim
13 Just read this file and you'll have the answer:
14 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt