From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: developer profile
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:08:27
1 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> posted 48E8B217.8020505@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:24:55 +0200:
3
4 > I just had a user in bugzilla who thought, the developer profile would
5 > be for software developers, not just for gentoo developers. Probably he
6 > is not the only one.
7 >
8 > What about either adding some big warning on portage output or renaming
9 > this profile to e.g. "gentoodeveloper"?
12 There's a thread in the archive discussing this. The conclusion then
13 seemed to be that the traditional profile.bashrc test for
14 I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=yes, with a suitable warning if it wasn't set,
15 should be enough.
16
17 The problem with that is that the profile itself sets that var in
18 profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults, so anyone using the profile has
19 it set automatically, rather defeating the purpose of the test in the
20 first place.
21
22 The solution would be to remove that bit from profiles/targets/developer
23 (and other places it may be set in the profiles, forcing those using the
24 developer profiles to actually set it themselves. If they don't, they
25 get the warning. If they see the warning and set it anyway, well, one
26 would hope they /do/ know what they are doing, and if they don't, as the
27 saying goes "If it breaks, you (they) get to keep the pieces!"
28
29 I'd suggest a somewhat less generic var as well. Perhaps
30 I_AM_A_GENTOO_TESTER_AND_I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING, or maybe
31 I_KNOW_THIS_MAY_BREAK_BUT_I_AM_TESTING_AND_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING.
32
33 Or make the profile.bashrc test for both the var and a more specific
34 value, perhaps like this:
35
36 I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING="and I know it can break but I am testing"
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman