From: Scott Stoddard <scott@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:53:58
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > What purpose does this serve? This would create all sorts of confusion.
3 > Right now, you can meet someone in IRC and make a reasonable assumption
4 > that their email address is <irc nick>@gentoo.org. This would confuse
5 > things horribly imo. What about people like me that span multiple roles?
6 >
7 > What happens when someone (again, like me) starts out in one area, moves to
8 > another, then still a third and finally a fourth? We're going to be
9 > updating aliases all over the place and for what?
10 >
11 > How does any of this make Gentoo Linux a better distro? Does it reduce
12 > bugs? Improve QA? Can I add -staff.gentoo.org to my CFLAGS and get a
13 > 0.00001% speed increase?
14 >
15 > There is no technical reason why any of this is necessary and it doesn't
16 > provide any tangible benefits that I can see. If a user really wants to
17 > know someone's role within the project, they can go look it up on the web
18 > site.
19 >
20 > --kurt
21
22 You're preaching to the choir here (at least in me), I don't personally
23 understand why everyone doesn't just have an @gentoo.org address - it
24 seems the simplest possible solution, but it was the devs that seem to
25 see it as some sort of a sin.
26
27 Whatever subdomain gets implemented now is only going to be half-used
28 anyway because of the number of people grandfathered in from previous
29 arrangements with @g.o addresses.
30
31 Personally I can't think of the last time I saw a company that forced
32 one division of its' employees to use a different email address. Seems
33 to me like telling all of the secretaries at a law firm that they have
34 to use @secretaries.firm.com
35
36 That all said, I am but one person with one opinion on the matter.
37
38 Scott.
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list