From: Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blocking mixed versions of split QT libraries
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:34:43
1 > From what I understand you are utilizing portages ability to
2 > automagically resolve blockers when all blockers will be resolved within
3 > the current command.  Agree?? or is it the fact that you are doing
4 > !>x11-libs/qt-assistant-${PV}-r9999 that is causing the paludis problem?
5
6 Yes, portage's auto-resolving ability thats exactly what we're using
7 to make this happen.
8
9 > I would suggest that you just tell paludis users to use --dl-blocks
10 > discard when updating qt.  After looking at the eclass im not sure
11 > whether it will work or not.  im assuming that discarding blocks will
12 > just ignore everything, but I haven't tested it so can't be sure.
13
14 Well since there's no other obvious way to achieve the whole thing,
15 this seems like the only option for paludis users for now. If it
16 works.
17
18 >> 1) Is there a saner way to achieve our goal of doing whatever is
19 >> possible to avoid mixed QT versions?
20 >
21 > I don't believe so, not within current ways of declaring dependencies.
22
23 maybe the PMS guys could implement something... :D
24
25 >> 2) Is our implementation considered correct and acceptable by the PMS guys?
26 >> 3) Whats the general Gentoo Policy on mixed versions? Do we care, or
27 >> is our policy "please -Du world"?
28 >
29 > I say we should be stopping them from happening.
30 >
31 > Good work btw.
32
33 Thank you for your thoughts