From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
To: "Yrjö Hatakka" <yrjo.hatakka@×××××××.fi>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout 1.8.2 breaks lvm
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:07:33
1 Question out of curiosity:
2
3 Why do you have lvm support compiled as a module? To me it doesn't buy
4 you any advantages that I can see and has a few disadvantages. Such as
5 every module that has to be loaded increases your boot time by a small
6 amount, more to possibly go wrong with a module, and I understand that
7 modules are a security risk. Since it has to be loaded all the time
8 anyway, seems to make more sense having it inside the kernel.
11 > After updating to baselayout 1.8.2 boot failed because chkfs could activate my
12 > lvm partitions
13 >
14 > problem is here at line that says:
15 > if [ -x /sbin/vgscan -a -d /proc/lvm ]
16 >
17 > well /proc/lvm doesnt exist when lvm is compiled as a module and not yet
18 > loaded. I added modprobe -av lvm-mod above that line
19 > - --
20 > Linux cartman.linux.home 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 #1 Fri Jul 5 00:45:50 EEST 2002 i686
21 > AuthenticAMD
24 Thomas M. Beaudry
25 k8la / ys1ztm
26
27 If at first you don't succeed, work for Microsoft.