From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gcc 3.0
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 12:57:57
1 On Thursday 02 May 2002 12:45 pm, Chad M. Huneycutt wrote:
2 > MadCoder wrote:
3 > > I saw there already exists a ebuild for gcc-3.0.
4 > >
5 > > is it possible to install both gcc2.95 and gcc3.0 (like a debian for
6 > > example)
7 >
8 > Since no one has answered yet, the answer is yes. I just tried it
9 > yesterday, and it works fine. Just give it a ebuild
10 > /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.0.4-...ebuild merge
11 > and all the gcc-3 related stuff will have a -3.0 appended.
12
13 I have a machine at home I built from scratch using gcc3 and it works
14 beautifully, with the one drawback that I cannot seem to get kdelibs to
15 compile with gcc3 for the life of me. If anyone knows a workaround I'd love
16 to get kde3 going on that machine ... otherwise I'll stick with gnome for
17 now. The gcc3 compiled machine does seem snappier, but that may be
18 psychosomatic. :-)