From: Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] hotplug vs. usbmgr
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:48:04
1 The original equivalent of cardmgr for USB devices in Linux was a set of
2 scripts known simply as hotplug, which Gentoo still uses (and is largely
3 alone in doing so..)
4
5 Since then, a couple of alternatives have been produced, including usbmgr
6 which includes a much more current mapping of devices and drivers. It's
7 easier to configure, has more and better information for doing its thing,
8 and offers a few other features hotplug lacks, such as the option for
9 notify beeps similar to those provided by cardmgr, which are useful for
10 testing.
13 Is there some particular reason why Gentoo is using hotplug that I am
14 unaware of? The only advantage to hotplug in my mind is that it's
15 supposed to be a generic hotplug device interface, rather than simply a
16 USB device manager. hotplug can in theory replace cardmgr, provide the
17 same functionality for FireWire, Bluetooth, and hotswap PCI devices as
18 well as USB, avoiding the need for seperate tools and daemons to handle
19 each.
20
21 That sort of setup with hotplug might be useful on a notebook where the
22 savings in CPU may result in a few more minutes of battery life (hey,
23 every second counts!), or shorten the boot sequence a little, but since
24 that's not being done, it seems a better course to me to suggest that we
25 should use the better USB tool. =)
28 Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org> This thing is an AI
29
30 Most of us feel that marketing types are like a dangerous weapon - keep
31 'em unloaded and locked up in a cupboard, and only bring them out when
32 you need them to do a job.
33 -- Craig Sanders