From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vala.eclass: change vala_src_prepare behavior when USE=-vala
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:15:18
1 On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:51:25 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:39:43 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > > The historical mess is not relevant anymore. Is there a single
7 > > > > real case when IUSE does not contain *at least* the ebuild-set
8 > > > > IUSE?
9 > > >
10 > > > The historical mess applies to things under EAPI control. If you
11 > > > want stronger guarantees, you know how to propose things for a
12 > > > future EAPI.
13 > >
14 > > You didn't answer my question.
15 >
16 > Well no. The point of having a spec for all of this is that we don't
17 > have to spend a long time carefully checking things to answer this
18 > kind of question every single time a topic is discussed (and this
19 > topic has come up quite a few times). You can just look back and see
20 > the justification for the spec wording that was given. Then, if you
21 > want a change, you can get it in a future EAPI, without us having to
22 > worry about working out exactly what the impact will be.
23
24 Yes, it did. And you are consistently wasting your and ours time
25 complaining that we're doing illegal stuff without trying to bring even
26 a single solution to it. Do you even care? Or are you just complaining
27 because you don't have anything useful to do?
28
29 If you care, then you should consider finding a good solution which
30 will fix the code now, instead of saying 'it is illegal' and 'we can
31 fix it in an awful way in next 10 years'.
32
33 > Or to put it another way, the point of having a spec is not to give
34 > you something to argue about every time it is brought up.
35
36 You know, good specs come with a thing called 'rationale' for various
37 points.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny