From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo could become certified for IBM Server Hardware
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 16:55:28
1 On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:46:28 -0500 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Actually, he does have a point. I know a lot of folks gripe that linux
4 | doesn't have any standard FS layout of where files are etc. If
5 | something like this could be implemented, it would make those people a
6 | lot happier.
7
8 Well, there's FHS, which we don't follow because it is severely broken
9 in various places. Or we could create our own "Standardised Linux
10 Platform" specification and try to persuade the other distributions to
11 sign up for it. Of course, we'd mandate portage as the package manager.
12
13 Thing is, it really isn't a problem. Data files go in $(datadir),
14 configuration files go in $(sysconfdir) and so on, and the build system
15 handles the rest. It doesn't matter what $(datadir) is actually defined
16 to be (unless your code really really sucks).
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm